Thursday 3 January 2013

Home

I have spent a very relaxing and calm few weeks at home in Norway. It's been great spending time with friends and family (I really missed them a lot), just enjoying myself, not having to worry about whether I might be breaking any social norms I'm oblivious to. It's been great breathing the fresh, sharp air, drinking the pure, cold tap water and walk my dog in the forest, the whole scenery blanketed in snow. After a few months in hectic Alex, it's been unbelievably nice to unwind in this calm, calm place. I come from Oslo, Norway's capital, but it's quite a small city, with only 500 000 inhabitants. The city is surrounded by forest on all sides, so even if you're in the middle of the city, you're never far from nature. I live right on the edge of the city, where you get the best of both worlds: it doesn't take me long to get to the city centre with all that has to offer, but at the same time the forest is right across the street from me, and I can put on my skis outside my front door if I like. Skis for cross-country skiing, that is. When a Norwegian talks about skiing, always assume that it is cross-country skiing unless otherwise stated. Skiing is such an important part of our culture (among the Norse gods of the vikings there was even a god for it), so of course I had to go skiing when I was home: I couldn't let this be the first year since I was two without skiing. I did consider going ice-skating at the ice rink across the street as well, but never got around to it. Oh, well, I guess I can survive a year without skating (no skating god in Norse mythology, so I'm allowed), even though I do love that too.
















 Sorry for all the patriotism. I've discovered that the longer I live abroad, the more patriotic I become. Hit me before it becomes unbearable, please. However, I guess Alex has influenced me as well. The other day I felt a strong urge to talk to an old woman on the underground, but of course if I did that here people would think I was crazy.  I also enjoyed listening to a couple of girls speaking Arabic in a store - it felt kinda homely. I will be returning to Alex in a few days, and it feels weird that I have something to return to there, that I have a life there now. Right now I wish I could stay home longer, as I know I will miss my family and friends immensely now that I won't see most of them before summer comes, but at the same time I am looking forward to seeing my friends in Alex again and to get to know the city and the country and the language better.
It's so peaceful when it's snowing!

My mum's grave                                           
My sister in front of our Christmas tree

Christmas at my cousin's

Enjoying a low-key New Year's Eve with friends



No comments:

Post a Comment